Common Electrical Hazards in Homes that Should Be Prevented

Wherever electricity is present, so are health hazards. Thus, it’s very essential for every industrial facility, commercial establishment, and home to exercise caution with electrical equipment, appliances, and wiring. The electrical hazards at home are particularly troublesome since your family can be put in danger without even knowing about them except you know the possible problems and you know what to pay attention to. To help you, we’ve listed below the top electrical hazards at home: 

Light bulbs 

Light bulbs can be found all over your home. However, they can be hazardous if you try to remove it before you switch off the switch, causing a shock hazard. Moreover, it can be a dangerous act if a light bulb sits close to flammable bedding, upholstery, drapes, and plastic materials. Guarantee that all bulbs have the right wattage and make sure to dry your hands before you replace a light bulb or touch a switch.  

Overheating 

Even the heavily coated wires are still in danger of overheating. If you want to prevent this issue, guarantee that there are adequate ventilation and air near the equipment and wires, particularly computers and televisions. Covered cords and wires can simply overheat when it’s overloaded.  

Children 

Youngsters, particularly toddlers and babies, are curious individuals who eventually find their way to electrical outlets. One objector finger in an outlet hole could lead to fatal consequences. Make sure to supervise your kids all the time. If possible, use specialized outlet protectors and covers. 

Contact with water 

Take note that electricity and water don’t mix. So, you should always set up outlets away from water sources, and never utilize electrical devices with your wet hands or close to a wet floor since there will be a greater chance of electrocution to occur. When a socket needs to be set up close to a body of water, guarantee that it’s a GFCI. Moreover, you should never pour water if there’s an electric fire. Instead, use fire extinguishers.  

Extension cords 

Plugging a lot of devices within one extension cord can result in overload. Meaning, you must never depend on one to power your appliances. Though extension cords seem to be convenient, it can be a trip hazard as well, which is a serious incident or/and injury can happen just by only falling over one.  

Outdated wiring 

If your home’s wiring hasn’t been changed in more than 30 years, it won’t just be more likely to get heat damage, cracking, or degraded or poor insulation. But, it’s also intended to current standards. If you want to prevent electrical fire and shocks to happen, make sure to use emergency electrician Spruce Grove and have them replaced with new wirings that can back up the electrical requirements of modern appliances and devices.  

Defective or faulty wiring 

Wire damage by rodents, damaged appliances, pinched/cracked/pierced insulation, or loose connections can result in fires, electrical shocks, arc faults, and power surges. Any worn, corroded, or damaged electrical wire must be upgraded and replaced right away. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *